??Ready for School in Every Way!
Written by Shanna Kurbis, Early Childhood Educator at Divine Savior Academy
A new school year is here. This time of year can be full of excitement…and maybe some fears, too, as your preschooler or kindergartener starts school for the first time. Here are a few suggestions for helping your child transition to the world of school!
Social and Emotional Readiness
- Regularly tell your child how proud you are of him or her that they are going to??school.
- If your child has a difficult time leaving you upon entering the classroom, assure him??or her that you will return to pick them up.
- Ask your child to tell you about his or her friends they are making at school.
- Start your child???s day off right with a healthy breakfast. Consistently provide your??child with healthy meals and snacks.
- Make sure that your child???s immunizations are up-to-date and has had his or her yearly check-up.
- Get outside and actively move with your child every day to strengthen your child???s??heart as well as large-motor skills, and give your child small-motor practice by providing him or her with manipulative??items such as crayons, glue, stickers, puzzles, LEGOS, etc.
- Read with your child every day ??? whether it be 5 minutes or 30, make it a top??priority.
- Familiarize yourself with what your child is learning each week at school. Work on??the same lesson concepts at home (counting household objects, search for letters on??signs, etc.)
Adaptive skills are what a child needs to help his or herself in daily living situations. Self-help skills will help a child greatly in a school (group learning) setting.
- Encourage your child to use the toilet independently.
- Teach your child how to get dressed by himself??or herself.
- Demonstrate proper hand washing techniques.
Certainly, the Lord is in ultimate control of all things ??? including the upcoming school year.??Intentionally involve the Lord in your child???s life and be assured that He will be with your child every step of the way!
- Pray for your child???s safety and development.
- Pray for the entire school family (students, their families, teachers, and staff).
- Pray for yourself, that you may continue to be a spiritual blessing in your child???s life.
Doing these things with your child will help them be ready for school, not just physically, but in every area of development!
Divine Savior has two campuses with early childhood programs: one is in Doral and the other is opening for the 2017-2018 school year in Delray Beach, Florida. To receive more information about Divine Savior’s new early childhood and elementary school campus in Delray Beach, please visit??http://divinesavioracademy.com/about-delray-beach-campus.aspx. For more information about Divine Savior’s Early Childhood Program in Doral, please schedule at tour online at??www.DivineSaviorAcademy.com.??